Friday, July 18, 2008

Like A Virgin

I went on my first "blind" date this week. It was with a guy I met online (no--not the one I had a crush on in high school! I've decided to leave the past in the past) and I must admit it was kinda scary. I'd never done anything like that before so I was nervous and insecure and wary, yet a little excited. I felt like a cyber-virgin, dating online for the very first time.

Despite my fears, I went ahead at met the guy. It was broad daylight and I made sure we met at a place I know. I tried to be safe and smart by following the rules and advice cyber-dating veterans have shared with me:
  • Don't leave your drink at the table -he could slip a "date rape" drug into it
  • Don't let him know where you live- in case he's a stalker
  • Don't talk too much--listen and learn
  • Don't wear anything too revealing--don't want to look like all you're looking for is sex (except, of course, if that is all you're looking for)
  • Don't have more than 2 alcoholic beverages-- don't want to get too comfortable too fast

Armed with these tips, I went ahead and met the guy. You want to know why? Because of all the guys I chatted with online since last week , he was the funniest, smartest, and most mature. Still, I was meeting a stranger and was expecting an awkward conversation in an uncomfortable situation. It was nothing like that! He was smiling and handsome and easy to talk with. We laughed, learned a little about each other, and basically had a great time. He's since called and ask me to meet him for dinner next week. I guess that's a good sign. So we'll see where it goes. I'm just glad I got it over with and went ahead, faced my fears and met someone new. Not so sure he's "the one" but he's an interesting , successful and attractive guy. Nice to know there are some out there. But if he's out there, there has to be more like him, right? Of course. So needless to say I'm going to enjoy this. I'm going to keep dating. I'm going to see what else is out there. I think it will be good for me. I think I have been a victim of sticking to the same types of guys, meeting people at the same types of places. I think it's time to step out of my comfort zone and stop limiting myself, don't you?

No comments: